Who all struggles with Negative thinking?🙋♀️ The answer to that question is everyone, because we are all human. However, if you struggle with persistent negative thinking that isn’t the direct result of what someone has did or said to you that is based in fact and not emotion, or if you can never seem to find a optimistic outlook on life then this one is for You! Believe it or not psychologists have a word for this exact type of thinking and it’s called Cognitive Distortion! When we let our subconscious thoughts not only impact our mental health, but also Cloud our judgment we are doing ourselves a disservice!
Negativity thinking affects us in a lot of ways, because it has power and influence over our lives! I’m a person that big on metaphors so I like to think of Negative vs Positive thinking in a way that you can truly visualize. The difference between negative and positive thinking is that POSITIVE THINKING can make you feel like your floating on highs verses NEGATIVE THINKING can make you feel like your drowning on lows!
When you feel good about yourself and your thinking process is Generally positive you feel and act a certain way! You feel encouraged, motivated, confident, assured, invincible, undefeated, upbeat and the list goes on, however when you feel bad about yourself your negative thinking reflects that. Negative thinking generally has people feeling sad, depressed, withdrawn, lonely, discouraged, unmotivated, Self looting, and a list of other feeling and emotions that are not only harmful to your mental health, but also essentially harmful to how you view reality!
*I will gives you some tips to help you combat negative thinking so that you can start living and having a more balanced mental health!
1. If you are an observant person then you would have realized that the way we feel about ourselves affects our thinking process drastically.
- To change this you have to identify the way that you feel and change it!
- Figure out what is causing you to feel this way. (Is it based in emotion or fact and distinguish the two.)
- Is the way your feeling a defense mechanism.
2. Ask yourself does your negative thinking stem from fear? If so deal with fear according!
- Tackle fear head on…go against the inclination of how you feel.
- As NIKE slogan says JUST DO IT!
3. GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE! THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT WITH COMBATING FEAR BECAUSE IT PUSHES YOU PAST THE LIMITATIONS THAT YOU PUT ON YOURSELF! Realize that your negative thinking is a disposition from fear.
- often time because we are unfamiliar and afraid of something that cases us to project negativity.
- realize that the more comfortable you become with something the more confidently you will feel!
- Remember this motto Practice makes Perfect!
It’s not that you don’t know how to do something it’s just that you don’t have practice doing it!
4. Giving yourself some grace will help with your Negative Thinking!
- Allowing yourself to celebrate your wins. (Be your own cheerleader)
- Not getting down on yourself when you meet adversities and your expectations are not met!
5. Lastly, Talking to someone really helps!
- Vent to somebody when things are building up. You might not realize it but you’ll feel a huge sense of relief just by doing that alone.
- Surround yourself with positive people
6. BONUSES* LAUGH MORE *SMILE MORE * READ POSITIVE QUOTES *CHANGE THE TONE OF YOUR NEGATIVE THOUGHTS * GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD
Although, this blog was primarily about combating your subconscious negative thoughts; I encourage you to take a closer look to see if you identify with any of the Cognitive Distortions, because I guarantee you it may be a contributing factor to your Negative Thinking. Attached is a helpful link! Peace and love❤ https://medium.com/amp/p/aaf14fa6c322#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s